The number of employees working from home has quickly risen in 2020. It’s the new reality and normality due to the concerns of COVID-19.
Some people may see working from home as an exciting new change, but with such a big change, comes a lot of distractions – family, friends, social media, housework and pets. All these distractions are likely to throw your work out of routine which can decrease your productivity.
Here are our top tips on how you can stay productive and get your work done at home:
Start Your Day Normally
When you work from home, it’s easy to sleep in and forget your usual routine. However, by sticking to your normal routine, you will be able to keep a clear head and your physical body will know it’s time to switch on for work.
Prioritise Your Health
A lot of people neglect their physical health when they work from home. This may be due to their routine being thrown out or due to the new distractions. Whatever the reason, it’s important to continue to prioritise your health. Here are some ways you can ensure your prioritising your health each day:
– Drink plenty of water: you should be drinking at least 2L of water a day
– Start your day by moving: wake up and go for a walk, stretch out and jump around
– Get some sunlight: try and have your breakfast outside in the sun to set yourself up for a full day of hard work
– Healthy meals and snacks: Prepare your lunch and snacks as you would normally to ensure your not binge-eating junk food
By prioritising your health, you will get your endorphins flowing and will help to improve your mental health (especially during the current circumstances in Australia).
Select an Appropriate Space
Find a dedicated and comfortable place in your home that you can work from each day, if possible, somewhere you can close a door to “log off” at the end of the day.
By having an appropriate space at home for your work, you are able create a new routine to work safely and productively.
Have a Plan
Everything runs smoother with a plan in place. At the beginning of each day (or end of each day), create your to-do list for the following day.
This will allow you to know exactly what needs to be completed. You are then able to create a rough plan of how your day will run and what tasks will need to be done when.
To work from home productively, you need to be able to create boundaries.
There are several boundaries that need to be created, here are some of our most important:
– Work during dedicated work time. Just because you have access to your work all day and night, doesn’t mean you should be working all day and night.
– Allow downtime. No matter where we’re working, we all need downtime to create a healthy work-life balance.
– Stay off your phone. Social media is one of the biggest time killers right now. When you’re working at home, you may feel a little more freedom, but remember that you do have work to complete.
We are always told to not bring our work home with us, but this can be quite difficult if we are working at home so it’s important to remember that just because you’re working at home doesn’t mean you can’t ask for help if you need it.
By outsourcing some of your to-do list to a virtual assistant, you can ensure your most important tasks are getting completed on time with less stress.
If you would like to discuss your individual needs and organise a quote on our Virtual Assistant services, please contact Mint Business Centre in Newcastle on (02) 4944 2000.